Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010



While Doc. B. has been fully immersed in war and her family’s service to our country (including a recent trip to Vietnam), I look back on what I know of my family history and there’s nothing, zilch, nada, zip.

Now, Dad, I’m TOTALLY NOT downplaying your service in the National Guard. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to have Mitt’s dad, Michigan Governor George Romney, call you to the 1967 Detroit riots to even attempt to “keep the peace.” 43 dead, almost 500 injured, over 7000 arrested, and 2000+ buildings burned. From what I understand, the whole thing started after a celebratory party for two returning Vietnam Vets. Willie Horton, after playing in a Detroit Tigers game, even tried to calm the crowds, but to no avail. I know my dad’s role was to transport prisoners from Detroit to the prison in Jackson, Michigan (how come prisons are always in Jackson?). I hope he was never in harm’s way, and if he was, he never described it as such.


But beyond my dad’s National Guard service, I don’t know that any of my family members served in a war/conflict. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it just seems curious to me. It’s for sure on my list of research items. If nothing else, perhaps it explains my distaste for conflict?

Go hug a Vet while you are eating your burger and chips! Hugs to you all!

4 comments:

Care said...

Did you notice the USPS truck in the very first picture? I guess I loved blue mailboxes and their transport vehicles even back then :)

daviddens4d said...

None of the men in my family served in the military either...at least not since The War of Northern Aggression! However, my father attended a military academy during his high school years. As is probably true w/ your father, they were sort of born between wars. And I don't know why y'all don't just go ahead and paint your mailbox blue!!?

Katrina said...

Thank you for your service Mr. O! You look awesome in your uniform - I always have a soft spot for folks in uniform.

Care said...

David - thanks for still speaking to this Yankee! And I don't know if a blue mailbox would go with our house color? Maybe we'll have to paint the house to match the mailbox?