Saturday, May 15, 2010

Say my name, say my name

Do a google search for my name and this is what you get…

Related Searches:

• Stephen King

• Carrie Bradshaw

• Carrie Underwood

• Carrie Ryan

For years, people I meet have been telling me that I look like someone they know.  Despite this, or perhaps because of it, people just don't seem to remember meeting me or can't remember my name.  So for years, I've been trying to figure out a way to help people at least remember my name.  I tried "rhymes with Hari Kari" but most people either didn't understand the reference or couldn't get past the "suicide by sword" image long enough to associate it with "Carrie".  I've also tried the Stephen King novel/movie Carrie.  That closing scene...at the prom...with the bucket of blood drenching Sissy Spacek - how could you forget that?

Okay, maybe not everyone has heard of Hari Kari or seen the movie Carrie (and if they haven’t – what’s wrong with them?!). But they certainly know that Carrie Bradshaw has some really cool clothes, lots of sex, incredible friends, and a New York City rent-controlled apartment. They also surely know that Carrie Underwood won American Idol and continues to rack up Country Music Awards with lyrics like this:

Before He Cheats

"And he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,

carved my name into his leather seats,

I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,

slashed a hole in all 4 tires...

Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats."

So I’m all about considering switching my references from suicide and death to sex (Carrie Bradshaw) and bitter country songs (Carrie Underwood), but who the heck is Carrie Ryan? Is she the love child of Nolan and Meg? Is she some one-hit wonder? Does she even sing or act? Well, let me google her and find out...

Turns out she’s a writer…of books I’ve never heard of or read. But since she comes up 4th in a google search of my name, either she’s really good at tagging herself on the “internets” or she really is someone famous that I need to get to know. Here’s the bio taken from her website:

"Born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina, Carrie Ryan is a graduate of Williams College and Duke University School of Law. A former litigator, she now writes full time. She lives with her writer/lawyer fiancé, two fat cats and one large puppy in Charlotte, North Carolina. They are not at all prepared for the zombie apocalypse."

I’m ambivalent about Duke, I could never be a lawyer, and I've never owned a dog.  But I do love fat cats and am strangely intrigued by the thought of a zombie apocalypse. Perhaps I’ll hit the DeKalb Public Library for a free Carrie Ryan book loan.

In the meantime, if you meet me anytime soon, don't be upset if I can't remember you or your name.

No comments: