Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Life in the Single Wide



Since I was being all hoity toity about living in Victorian villas and Arts and Crafts abodes, I thought it only right to admit that I also had my dose of mid-century, pre-fab, modern-for-the-times, static caravan, shabby chic, 12’x 60’, living spaces too. Yes, I lived in a trailer.

The first trailer, that I lived in (before birth) was, according to my mom, pink…inside and out. So you know my parents must have gotten a deal on it. Or wait, it was the 60’s so maybe they actually paid top dollar for its trendiness? And look what they’re eating here in the pink trailer: canned peaches, hamburger patties on white bread, and probably milk in those really cool drinking glasses that would no doubt be worth a fortune on eBay this very moment. But hey, there was a candle and gifts on the table – could this have been my parents' first Christmas dinner together? How cute!

Then there’s trailer number 2 where we lived when I was born. Look at the upgrades! For one, it’s not pink – they went with the classic white. Next, it looks like it’s on a corner lot – good call if there’s a kid on the way – fewer neighbors to hear all that baby crying and whining. And is that an attached garage? Who knew! Is that even allowed in trailer parks? I wonder if this is what piqued my dad’s interest in planning and zoning? Oh wait, he already had his degree in urban planning before moving into this trailer so I don't know what to blame.

So there. It’s not all glitz and glamour in my residences like you thought. And to keep us humble in our current home, we bought a double-wide for the cat.

And here's our beloved cat, all ready to open up his very own double wide - some things never change...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's "the rest of the story" on the pink trailer. My final fall semester at Michigan State University was spent student teaching home economics at Pennfield High School in Battle Creek, MI. A sorority sister,, Kay Elwood, and I team taught and lived together in the pink trailer which we rented. Other teachers also lived in the park so we had fun together. At the time, Mart was in active duty in the National Guard, so was at Fort Knox & Fort Sill. I was to graduate on December 13th and we had set our wedding date for December 14th. In my free time that fall I made my wedding dress and all the bridesmaids dresses in that pink trailer! Chapter 2 will be written soon so stayed tuned. Mom

Care said...

Now that's a better story than mine mom! Can't wait for chapter 2 and can't wait to see you!!!

Care said...

p.s. since when do you stay up until 10:00 pm? xoxo

Anonymous said...

I was up watching the Detroit Tigers lose to the Chicago White Sox 15 to 3! Today they play at 2:05 PM so I can watch them play while freezing the 14 quarts of strawberries that I picked this morning. Mom PS More of the pink trailer story later.

Anonymous said...

Bet the "Pink Cadillac" that towed the Pink Trailer story will be a real 'SIZZLER' too!!! It's party time!!! Oh, and by the way...GREAT STRAWBERRIES, don't ya know?

Anonymous said...

Why did we start our married life in Battle Creek, MI you might ask? Urban Planning job opportunities were available in Manchester, Ohio, Walnut Creek, CA and Battle Creek,MI.Martin chose the lowest paying job ($5,800 per YEAR!)in B.C. because they were updating their Master Plan which would be great experience. Also, it would simplify life ... roommate Kay was moving out and Mart would move in! We were only in the pink trailer one Christmas. The trailer park did not allow children so when the owner learned that we "were with child" he asked if we would agree to move to his other park and live in the white modular home adjacent to the trailer park. We were thrilled as the white "double wide" seemed HUGE and had an attached garage and a basement. Part three to follow. Mom
PS Yes, the strawberries were good weren't they Paul D? :)

Anonymous said...

"had an attached garage and a basement"
Lots and lots of space...sooooo, let the collecting begin!!!

Care said...

Well I'm glad Dad didn't choose Ohio. I don't think I could have been an OSU fan. That would be like letting Nebraska into the Big Ten or something crazy like that! But who knew I could have been a California girl! Actually, I can't really see that either so for me, Dad made the right choice :)
Hi Paul D! How you doin'??

Anonymous said...

And, almost 46 years later we're still collecting ... Mart collects hostas and I collect many varieties of dust! Mom