Thursday, September 03, 2009

Tox and Detox


It took me until I was 40 to be able to keep my weight in check while also feeling like I could enjoy life. Doc. B's been cooking us some really healthy meals and I've been working out almost every day and pouring the wine. I'm going to guess that I've not gone more than a week without having an adult beverage (and that might have been our yoga trip to Guatemala a year and a half ago). But I've also not gone more than two to three days without some type of exercise. And when I have a crappy day of eating, I don't stay in that mode (like I used to).

It's now my birthday month and in a few weeks, I'll hit 45. That "half way to 90" thing feels like a pretty big milestone. Seems like a good reason to do some diet and exercise tweaking. You know, to make sure the weight doesn't creep me up out of the size 12's I've been wearing for the past 5 years. Yeah, size 10 would be nice, but anytime I've been "that small," people tell me I look anorexic. I think I was a size 10 in 8th grade and then one more time again when I was in my late 20's...since then it's been size 12...14...or 16 (the above picture, taken in about 2000, was for sure at least pushing size 16 if not already there).

So with Doc. B. in San Francisco for a meditation retreat over labor day weekend, what better time for me to make a few changes? Kali suggested I do a 10 day detox with her...and I foolishly (?) agreed. She's had to hand-hold me a bit, but I'm in. It's now 10pm on the eve of the start. And here's the "advertisement" for the program:

"Feel refreshed, lose weight, boost your immune system, and have more energy while you learn about how yoga and nutrition clean and balance the body’s systems. Join Swami Jaya Devi and get your body back on track with a Ten Day Yoga Detox. Full package includes: mini workshops, daily yoga class, special 10-day healing meditation, breathwork, nutrition, semi-fast, herbal liver, kidney & colon cleanses,...and more!"

Here's what I'll be doing...

"Ten Day Program: September 4-14, 2009

Opening workshop (includes information for all ten days):
Friday, September 4 from 6:00-7:30pm
Mid-course workshop:
Thursday, September 10 from 6:00-7:30
Closing workshop:
Monday, September 14 from 7:30-9:00pm

Ten-Day Yoga Pass
Kidney Cleanse
Semi-Fast
Colon Cleanse
Liver Cleanse
Immune Boost
Hydrotherapy
Ten-Day Healing Meditation
Yoga Detox Sadhana Card
Detox Breathwork"

So as I head to bed with a belly full of wine and macaroni and cheese, wish me luck!

No comments: