Saturday, August 25, 2007

Good Morning Baltimore?

The three to zip score didn't last...
Camden Yards
White?


The title of this blog, also the opening song from the movie "Hairspray", really isn't fitting the bill. I'm thinking "bad evening Camden Yards" would have been more appropriate for this week in Oriole-ville.

I haven't been much of a baseball fan during my life, but I do enjoy going to a ball game now and again. What's not to love about hot dogs, peanuts and beer in an outdoor setting? Plus, I love going to a good baseball venue - my personal favorite is still Wrigley Field - no matter how bad the Cubs are. So when the Orioles lost 33 to 3 the other night, I figured it would be a cinch to get cheap tickets to a subsequent game at Camden Yards, the field that is just two blocks from Babe Ruth's birthplace. The ghost of Babe Ruth didn't do anything to stop the Texas Rangers from scoring over 30 points - the most of any major league baseball team in over 100 years.

I stood in line at the box office and bought the cheapest ticket I could get. Then I took that cheap ticket and made my way down to the first row right beyond first base. Okay, don't tell anyone, but that wasn't where I was supposed to sit. I only stayed for 4 innings and no one came to claim my uncomfortable seat so I'm rationalizing that it was okay.

When I was here in April, I had to stay way out in Owings Mills, MD. I've had much more fun during this trip to Baltimore since I've been able to stay in the Inner Harbor area. There are plenty of things to do, all within walking distance. The crab cakes are plentiful. People are very nice and friendly here and so I really don't have any of those typical blog entries about my run-ins with or observations of others. I'm here until Friday, so there's still time...

No comments: