Friday, August 03, 2007

Class of '82





This past weekend was my 25th class reunion. I had already planned the trip to Portland when the invitations came out and I also had a work trip to Mississippi planned for the week prior to the reunion. Still, I could have made my way to Michigan for the event. But I chose not to. Why? I really can't say. Perhaps it will be a future therapy discussion? My gut feeling was: "I haven't been to any of the others, why start now?"

The reunion actually sounded fun. Friday the 27th we were to hang out at Schuler's Restaurant from 7- 11 pm where there would be light appetizers and a cash bar. Then on Saturday the 28th, there was a golf scramble at The Medalist Golf Club, followed by the actual "reunion" from 6:30 to midnight. It was just 30 bucks for all of this and another $42 if you wanted to pretend to play golf (which is what I would have had to do - unlike my middle sister who hit a hole in one when she was 8 months pregnant). Oh, just a side note, middle sister will join the 40+ club in November. That leaves just baby sis to join her three siblings...

There were e-mails floating around as we neared the date of the reunion. The e-mails were addressed to classmates that apparently had not "kept in touch" over the years. I was TOTALLY on this list - as was my senior high school prom date. Unlike many of our fellow 1982 senior peers, we did not move into the same zip codes as our parents' did (thanks Dixie Chicks for those lyrics). As tempted as I was to e-mail my old beau, I refrained from doing so. There was something strange about it considering I don't think I've spoken to him since we held our combined high school graduation party poolside at mom and dad's (see photo - and if you look very closely, you might see two famous vehicles, the P.W. Van and Grandpa C's Pontiac White Whale).

Having to make small talk with people you haven't seen in years sounded stressful to me. I occasionally run into my freshman prom date when I'm home to visit family and that's always somewhat stressful enough. Maybe it's that you really liked the person at one time in your life but now your life is SO totally different that you don't know what to do or say about it? How honest are you supposed to be with someone you haven't seen in years and probably won't see again for years?

I'm completely envious of my mom who has reconnected with her high school friends. I guess you have to take risks to invite the kind of relationships she's cultivated. Hmmmm....thoughts to ponder. Is it time to reconnect with my very few high school friends? Or do I wait until the 30 year reunion????

P.S. Mom, I loved the prom dresses you made for me, the perfumes you and Dad picked out for me, and the special notes you put in my pockets...xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can I miss the opportunity to comment on the picture taken in our backyard 25 years ago! I need help identifying some of the people in the picture. I think I see Marla, Rob Porter, perhaps a Sill or two. Anybody else? Glad you liked the homemade prom dresses because I certainly do not sew much anymore - just mend holes in the knees of things. :) Hugs, Mom

Care said...

Dear home ec queen: You are probably doing better than I am at names but I do see Julie in there :)
xxoo!

Anonymous said...

Planning and attending my 30th highschool reunion - October of this year...I've been in contact with folk who haven't attended a single reunion - but very much want to now, with some reservations. Gitters! What to say!
Connecting with just a few folk who perhaps played a part in shaping some part of your life can be a pretty awesome experience...even if you never reconnct again...GO TO YOUR 30th

Anonymous said...

Whoop...CLO...I left the afore message...CEL

Care said...

Hi CEL!!!! I figured you'd play a part in planning a big reunion - I'll consider your advice!
Heard you left a funny today for someone's b-day!