Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Secret Service



Doc. B. and I were house/pet sitting over the labor day weekend. Don't feel sorry for us, this was no chore. The house is owned by friends who have a heated swimming pool and every single movie channel. They even left us a bunch of videos that weren't due back to Blockbuster just yet. So after we lounged by the pool and ate take-out from "Moe's", we sat in the matching recliner chairs to decide what movie to watch. We settled on "The Secret". I had heard the hype so figured that even if I didn't enjoy the movie, I could at least contribute to water cooler discussions.

I won't give away the secret, but the idea is that you attract what you think. So if your mind is focused on negative things, negative things are going to come your way and visa versa. The bottom line is that you attract what you think about.

Since viewing the movie, I've been trying to pay attention to what I'm thinking about and then watching what happens. So far I'd say it's humorous at best. I'll keep you posted (whether you like it or not) but here are the two things that I've noticed thus far.

While I was in Baltimore, Doc. B. had my favorite sous chef knives sharpened. When one is a slicer and dicer such as myself, a sharp tool will make one's day. I set out to prepare one of our favorite stir fry dishes and noticed several times that I was thinking: "I better be careful, I'm going to cut myself with this sharp blade". Sure enough, as I was making my last few chopping motions, my left thumb got in the way. No tourniquet was needed but it did take a bit of pressure and elevation to get the blood flow to stop. So now that I've gotten that "I'm going to cut myself" thought and subsequent action out of the way, I can move on to simply loving the knives.

Then last night we went to the Agnes Scott College campus for a free outdoor showing of "Schreck III". We found ourselves a spot on the impeccably manicured lawn and unfolded our blanket. Doc. B. got us popcorn and we settled in to await the start of the show with about 100 other viewers. While we were waiting, I kept noticing how green and lush the grass was and how the brick lined sidewalks between the grassy knolls made aisles for people as they found their way to claim spots for the evening. I said to Doc. B., "I wonder when those lawn sprinklers are set to go off?"

You can picture the rest of the story. About 15 minutes into the movie, everyone on the other side of the brick aisle was drenched as sprinklers erupted around them like a bunch of perfectly timed Old Faithfuls. It was already getting late so we decided to call it a night. All I can say is that I'm glad my thought was related to "those" sprinklers rather than "these" sprinklers. I'm sure that's why ours didn't turn on and "those", over there, did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Care! I'm glad to be back on the list and sorry I missed you, not once, but twice, as you explored Baltimore. Never again! I won't understand the next time that you're in my neck of the woods and don't announce it. . . There's always time for friends.

Care said...

I feel ashamed! Not to worry though, shame is an easy emotion for me to muster without much effort :)
Believe me, it will NEVER happen again - you are so right that there is always time for friends. So I guess Doc. B. and I better make a special trip to invade your fine home sometime soon - can we have an invite?
xoxo