Sunday, April 01, 2007

Boston Synchronicity

Photo courtesy of Boston's official web site


A few weeks ago, an old friend of mine sent me one of those fun e-mails that asked me to answer a lot of questions about her and then she would do the same for me. It included things like: "tell me about the first time you met me, what do you remember?”, and "what do you think my favorite beverage is?"

One of the questions asked what I thought my friend’s favorite music was. Since I don’t know what kind of music she likes now that we are in 2007, and since I was trying to be funny, I answered with "anything by the band 'Boston'". After all, that’s the music I know she liked back when I first met her in the early 1980’s.

Here's the thing though, the band Boston had not even crossed my mind in months, possibly years. Or at least not since the last time I went home to Michigan where Boston is played on the radio almost as much as Billy Joel, Anita Baker and Stevie Wonder.

So, I found it to be quite synchronicitous that the lead singer for Boston, Brad Delp, committed suicide just one day after I completed this questionnaire for my friend.

But wait, it gets even spookier.

Two days after Brad Delp’s death, we went to help take calls for upcoming concerts at one of our local Atlanta venues. Our good friend, MAD, coordinates this twice per year and we were honored to be asked to come back and help out. There were about a dozen shows for which we were taking orders and would you believe that one of the shows in the series was Boston (with REO Speedwagon as the opening act)? At the time we were taking ticket orders, the show was still to go on. But I see now the summer shows have been cancelled according to the band’s website. I didn't sell any tickets to the show but I did take a change order from someone who had purchased tickets and then realized that Brad was no longer with us. Had I not known about Brad's death, I might have even begged for tickets since I would have been able to see REOSpeedwagon, the first band I ever saw in concert. Just FYI, my second ever concert was Diana Ross at Cobo Hall in Detroit. If you EVER get a chance to see her in concert, or even see her on Inside the Actor's Studio, take that chance - she is SO worth it.

But the three olives in the already dirty martini, not to be confused with the icing on the cake: the television show I suggested you all watch (in my last blog entry), October Road, opened their series premiere with a Boston classic: "Don’t Look Back".

What do you think of the show by the way?

Oh, and would you believe that Billy Joel's "The Stranger" is playing on our DISH radio as I hit the "publish" button on this blog entry?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Billy Joel is on our dish as frequently as The Who, which is way too much for my ears. At least there isn't a Billy Joel only station (like there is fo the Who) 'cause I'm sure you'd select it just to get under my skin. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Uh oh! Does elevator music on the dish bug you when we old folks come to visit? If so, perhaps we could switch to The Righteous Brothers, Elvis, Johnny Matress, or something similar :) Hugs, a certain old lady

Care said...

So Doc. B., what are you saying? That Billy Joel is on the Dish so much that I would not be able to consider it a synchronicity??? Long live Billy Joel!!!!

Care said...

Dear Certain Old Lady, Just FYI, our Dish also has an all Elvis station. Since you went to see him in concert, just before he supposedly passed away, perhaps we'll select that Dish channel for your entire visit in May!

Anonymous said...

ok, the most important question - is there a Boston station on the dish? If so, R & M may know all the words by heart in a matter of days!

Care said...

Dear Friend, Please begin begging Dish Network to start a Boston channel! Hopefully you at least played R and M a few CD's?
XOXO, Care