Monday, January 29, 2007

IBM Playlist

I love iTunes gift certificates (don't worry, my birthday isn't until September and all of the major gift-giving holidays are over - in other words, this is not a hint).

Because iTunes gives me the ability to purchase only the songs I like vs. having to purchase an artist's entire "album", I haven't bought a CD in quite some time. In fact our normal tradition of buying a CD while on vacation was recently usurped by my burning of a homemade disc from iTunes and our own previously purchased music. And the other thing is, once you enter your gift certificate number, you have an automatic store credit so you don't have to spend it all at once - you can just purchase a song here and there as one strikes your fancy.

Baby sister got me my first iTunes gift card and I'm pretty sure I told her what songs I bought (if not, I'm sure she'll let me know after this posting!). But my most recent gift certificate came from my friends, the IBMers. This was a 2006 birthday gift that also came with a package of blank CD's. This past week I finally finished spending every last cent of my store credit. Here's a sampling of what I purchased over the course of the past four months:

+ Saving Grace, Tom Petty (without the Heartbreakers)

+ Rebel Yell, Billy Idol (good jogging, or getting mad, music)

+ Old Man, Liz Wright (good recommendation Ms. Postal Service)

+ How to Save a Life, The Fray (what can I say, I'm hooked on the music from Grey's Anatomy)

+ Southland in the Springtime, The Indigo Girls (I was making a CD for my mom who wanted to hear some of their music)

+ How We Operate, Gomez (just a cool new band that I like - shoot, I bet they were on Grey's Anatomy too?)

+ River, Sarah McLachlan (an awsome remake of Joni's original)

+ Easy, Barenaked Ladies (I love them and you really need more on your iPod than "If I had a Million Dollars")

+ Stella, Andreas Vollenweider (good memories from the 80's)

+ Get Ur Freak On, Missy Elliott (my jogging "power song")

+ We Belong, Pat Benatar (more good memories from the 80's)

+ Better Life, Keith Urban (I had to see what all the fuss was about - I hate to admit it but I sort of like this song)

+ Give Blood, Pete Townshend (One of my all time favorites - for the tune, not necessarily for the lyrics)

No comments: