Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sign Language for "PAY"





This guy comes up to me while I'm waiting on my MARTA train. He has headphones on, you know, the iPod kind. He holds out a wrinkled up sign that says "I am deaf" and grunts out the same three words. My first thought was, why does a deaf guy have on headphones? As I'm thinking this, he holds out another well-worn sign that says "can I have $1.00?". I patted my pockets and gave him the "sorry I don't have any" look with matching hand gestures. He then flipped over the sign and it said "OK, well, how about a quarter?". I dug into my backpack to reward him for his creativity. It reminded me of the disheveled guy on the Washington D.C. Metro that said to me "got any spare change"? I replied no and he responded with "got any spare credit cards?" I could only laugh and give him some change.

No comments: