Sunday, August 20, 2006

Don't fly away...


FIRST THINGS FIRST: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC. B.!!!!!!!!
We jogged in the Georgia heat for 43 minutes this morning - in honor of Doc. B.'s 43rd year on earth. We're usually off in cooler climates at this time of the year (such as Montana or Michigan). But since we have our trip to the Northeast planned for early September, here we are, enduring the sweltering temperatures while listening to the cicadas who clearly have no problem with this heat - just makes their tune louder it seems!

Okay, now to the planned post:

Last Sunday, the only semi-cool day we've had in what seems like months, I hung the second of my three hummingbird feeders. I've had one in the backyard for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed watching a playful pair dive bomb each other to get to the feeder first. Last year on my birthday, Doc.W., who works with Doc. B., gave me the pictured copper and glass globe feeder. When I was cleaning it out at the end of last season, I accidentally broke the tube where the feed comes out. But low and behold, there is a chemist in the family who has access to stuff like that back at the lab. So, how many Ph.D. chemists does it take to bend a glass tube to repair my broken one? It's my understanding that it took three. This included the company's analytical chemist, vice president and president. Well, there was at least input from all of them so the rumor goes.

So my original plan last Sunday was to hang the feeder and then lounge on the porch swing with an intention of finishing the current book I'm reading, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I only got a chapter or two under my belt when the hummingbirds showed up to fight over the sugar and water mixture. Of course I couldn't let this moment pass -I carefully tip-toed back into the house to find the digital camera and get one of these cute little birdies on film - well, not film, but you know what I mean. I decided to give up on the book and just sit quietly to watch the hummingbirds. I was mesmerized like I always am when there are birds, but especially hummingbirds, in our yard.

It's been a week and I still haven't finished the book, but there are some very happy hummingbirds I've been able to enjoy instead - when we haven't been out celebrating Doc. B.'s birthday that is!

No comments: