Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Internet Creativity


How many times have you seen an invention that you wish YOU had created or read an article that you wish YOU had thought of first? Since starting the blog, this happens to me all of the time, mainly with another person's words or ideas that make me laugh or think. Yes, it's a form of jealousy - call it "genius envy" if you wish. Take that phrase for example. I just thought of "genius envy" - made it up all by myself. But then I thought, wait, let me google that and see if anyone else has already claimed it. Sure enough, there is a musician (trumpet player) named Ron Horton who has an album by the same name. I've never heard of Ron Horton or his album - so does that mean I'm copying him? Is this what patents and trademarks and copyrights (oh my!) are all about?

Anyway, you know those old photos that have been made into greeting cards with funny captions? I wish I had thought of that. Well, today I saw a variation of that idea...

My neighbor forwarded me this website and I just about peed my pants. One because it was so clever, but two because I would have had easy access to the material - vintage sewing patterns. These two Atlantan's made my day and I'm thinking the website will also resonate with my sisters - since our mom was a home economics teacher and still is a master seamstress...

threadbared

Once you go to the website, click on "about us" and get a laugh out of the biographies. Then, just for fun, browse through their sewing patterns and captions. Made me chuckle and I love to share chuckles. "Chuckles" are one of my Dad's favorite candies and he's been known to willingly share them - must be where I get it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie,

Just ran across your blog and had to share something with you. The reason why Kimberly and I started Threadbared.com? We were both hooked on sites like gofugyourself.com and snarkywood.com and we would read them and always think, "Damn! Wish WE had thought of that!" So we finally decided to come up with an idea and go with it. Just thought I'd let you know you're not the only one who can get "genius envy"...I think it happens to all of us. :)

Anyway, thanks for the nice words about our site, glad you enjoyed it!

MW

Care said...

Mary! My first celebrity comment! Well, unless you count my mom as a celebrity :) Thanks for adding your two cents - I love your website and will of course keep checking in for more huge laughs! And I will of course check out the two websites you mentioned here...
Carrie