Thursday, March 30, 2006

Free and Clear!




My jury service is over until the next time my name is drawn from the county hat. I can go and enjoy my vacation in Hilton Head as planned. Thank goodness for our pet/house sitter, Kathy, who has made it easier for me to go on vacations without spending (too much) time worrying about the kitties. She’ll stay at the house while we are away and keep the cats on their schedule, or should I say she’ll keep them on my schedule. She’ll also make the house look alive by being there. And the best benefit of all is that she is a Vet Tech. If anything were to happen, she’ll know what to do.

But back to jury duty. I’ve told most of you the full story but figured I’d put it down in the BLOG for those who haven’t heard it, not to mention for posterity’s sake.

Thursday morning, a week ago, I walked to the DeKalb County Courthouse – a very nice 45 minute trek I might add. I went through security and was told that I was not allowed to have a fork in the building. I said "a what?" The security guard informed me there was a fork in my backpack, right next to my glasses case. Sure enough, it was right where she said it was. I handed it over without arguing. I decided not to pull a Cynthia McKinney though I was tempted.
Cynthia McKinney

I guess someone could be forked to death and I wouldn’t want that on my shoulders. I guess Cynthia’s actions will now make it illegal to take a cell phone past security. She just does us Georgia Democrats proud. But as usual, I digress.

So I get to the jury waiting room and find a seat near the back so that I can people watch while I listen to my iPod. Once the introductions got started, it was clear that at least one guy was trying to get dismissed even before being sent off to a potential trial. One of the Circuit Court Judges came in to speak to us all and tell us what to expect. Right when she started talking, crazy man raised his hand and asked if she had anything he could stick in his ears since she was talking so loudly. He later raised his hand to ask how much we were getting paid for the day and when she responded with "$15.00", he said, "that’s outrageous; we should at least get free beer or something". While I agreed with his statement, I disagreed with the way he was conducting himself. Apparently the lady behind me was annoyed with the guy too. She stood up and said "hey, just shut up and let the judge do her job". Everyone clapped. I think she would have stood up sooner, but she first had to move all of her accessories to the chair next to her . I’m pretty sure she brought with her a laptop, a cell phone, a blackberry, a trio, a walkman, an iPod, a victrola, and a flat screen television set.

Shortly thereafter, a court assistant came out to tell us that a judge was ready for 50 of us. She began calling out names and number 22 was me. We went up to the courtroom and were all handed questionnaires. Here are the things they wanted to know about us:
• Do you think you know more about DNA than the average person?
• Do you believe that DNA evidence is valid and reliable?
• Do you watch law-related television shows like CSI, Law and Order or Nancy Grace?
• If you watch those types of shows, which ones do you watch and how often?
• Do you recall anything about the rape and murder of Joanne Hankamer who was found in Candler Park in 1989? Do you know or recall anything about Larry Walker, the person accused of killing her?

We all completed our questionnaires and were then told that we could go home but that we needed to come back Monday morning at 8:45. The judge and attorneys would need some time to review our answers before they started questioning us – or as they say in the business, "voir dire". We were told not to discuss the case with anyone or research it in any way.

So I stressed all weekend, something you all know I’m really good at. Would I miss my vacation? Would they let me off because of my vacation? What rape and murder case would last less than two weeks? How can I get out of this? Candler Park is just a short two miles from where I lived when I first moved to Atlanta just after this 1989 murder that sounded really familiar. Candler Park is the home of the Flying Biscuit where I’ve been eating for years. It’s also the location of my current yoga studio and, though I’ve moved many times since coming to Atlanta, Candler Park is still just two miles away.

So Monday morning arrives and I again walk the courthouse after making sure I had no forks in my backpack. The 50 of us convened in the courtroom where I heard others talking of my same predicament. Comments could be heard all around the room that included the words "vacation", "spring break", and the phrase "I don’t want to be on a murder trial jury".

We all stood at attention as the Bailiff told us to "all rise". The judge came out and told us to "please be seated". It sounds just like a TV show so far doesn’t it? Then we got the good news. The defense had asked for a three week continuance and the judge was going to grant it. Because he didn’t want us to be on hold for three weeks, we were all being released from jury duty – a new pool of jurors would be selected. There was an audible sigh of relief in the courtroom. Smiles could be seen everywhere. People started filing out of the room and talking with each other as if they had been friends for years. It was a bonding moment for 50 people who didn’t even know each other’s names. I walked back home, stopping at the local Starbucks for my free cup of coffee (every juror gets a free cup of coffee), and there ends the story of potential juror number 22.

Hilton Head, here we come!

By the way, here is some information on the trial – I intend to follow it once it gets started:


Trial

No comments: