Thursday, February 23, 2006

Our Nation's Capital


http://www.nps.gov/fdrm/memorial/memorial.htm

I just returned from a trip to Washington, D.C. This ended up being a celebration of my one year as a Federal Government employee - what a fitting place to be, huh? I've been enamored with the town ever since doing an internship with the National Association of Social Workers in 1984. The Dean of the Michigan State University School of Social Work, and my parents of course, got me the gig for the summer. I was able to find housing at a "boarding house" of sorts called the International Student House. There I lived in a dormitory-type setting in one of the most sought after sections of D.C. I still remember the address: 1825 R Street, NW. I make sure to pass by each time I revisit the Capital.

Thanks to a longtime friend, of close to 20 years, I now have a reason to visit more often. My friend has a house there with its own stocked, or should I say overstocked, apartment. Yes, this last trip was more than I could have asked for. Food and beverages in the fridge, a full kitchen, workout equipment, a jacuzzi tub, and a comfortable bed. I was treated like a princess over the long President's day weekend! Fetched from the airport, homecooked meals and desserts, a tour guide and chauffeur at my service, great restaurants and curb service back to the airport.

We walked all over the place and that's one of the things I love about D.C. From my friend's house, we walked to the National Botanic Gardens to see the orchid display. They were absolutely gorgeous. We even found an orchid with my mom's nicknames: Mimi Lucifer. We then walked from there to Georgetown where we did a little shopping and had lunch. I also had a chance to visit the new American Indian Museum - beautifully built and well done exhibits.

While we didn't do it this trip, my favorite memorial is the FDR memorial. My friend took me there on my last visit to D.C. If you get a chance to go, go at night - once you are there, I won't need to tell you why.

So if anyone reading this plans to go to D.C., let me know so that I can shower you with other ideas! I hope everyone else had a terrific President's day weekend too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie. Thank you for the DC report. On Tuesday I took notes at the Rotary meeting for our weekly newsletter. Fellowship time was about presidents day. The question came up as to who was our first president. So here is the answer to that question.
John Hanson, as first President, ordered all foreign troops off American soil, as well as the removal of all foreign flags. He established the Great Seal of the United States, which all Presidents have since been required to use on all official documents. President Hanson also established the first Treasury Department, the first Secretary of War, and the first Foreign Affairs Department. Lastly, he declared that the fourth Thursday of every November was to be Thanksgiving Day, which is still true today.
The Articles of Confederation only allowed a President to serve a one-year term during any three-year period, so Hanson actually accomplished quite a bit in such little time. He served in that office from November 5, 1781 until November 3, 1782. He was the first President to serve a full term after the full ratification of the Articles of Confederation – and like so many of the Southern and New England Founders, he was strongly opposed to the Constitution when it was first discussed. He remained a confirmed anti-federalist until his untimely death.
Six other presidents were elected after him - Elias Boudinot (1783), Thomas Mifflin (1784), Richard Henry Lee (1785), Nathan Gorman (1786), Arthur St. Clair (1787), and Cyrus Griffin (1788) - all prior to Washington taking office. Why don't we ever hear about the first seven Presidents of the United States? It's quite simple - The Articles of Confederation didn't work well. The individual states had too much power and nothing could be agreed upon. A new doctrine needed to be written - something we know as the Constitution.
George Washington was definitely not the first President of the United States. He was the first President of the United States under the Constitution we follow today. And the first seven Presidents are forgotten in history.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie! Glad you had such a good time! Thanks for visiting and celebrating with me. And thanks for the t-shirt, too! I finally got down to the apartment to strip the sheets, and there it was! I thought about doing the FDR at night this time, but it seemed like it was a little chilly . . . it just means that you'll have to come back when the weather is a little more cooperative. You're welcome anytime, and you don't have to come alone, either. Doc B or a friend or other family member . . . two beds in that apartment if you count the futon! Mom and her gang are scheduled for the first weekend in April, but other than that the calendar is clear!

Hope to see you again, soon!

Care said...

Pops, you are just full of
i(t)nformation! Who knew :) Thanks for funding my DC internship back in 1984 AND thanks for all the other nice stuff you do.

And Laree, be careful what you offer, you may have my whole extended family staying with you! I really did have a fabulous time and look forward to visiting again very soon!!