Wednesday, February 08, 2006

1980 Blog? No Thanks!

Michigan Teens Nabbed!

I feel for the Grand Rapids High School students who got busted because of photos and articles that were posted on one of their blogs. I'm relieved that there was no blogging back when I was in high school as I did not need any help getting busted - I could do that quite easily without the help of the internet. But thank you Al Gore for inventing it anyway since I appreciate it so much now.

The photos were what got the students in trouble. And speaking of photos, there were some parents in my hometown that did quite well with photography pre-internet as well. As the story goes, some students headed off to the prom in their family van. Their parents tracked down the van at the high school parking lot and proceeded to take photos of themselves enjoying the beverages that were contained within. I don't particularly know what happened after that or if the whole story is just made up in my mind? Perhaps there is someone out there who reads this blog on a regular basis that can confirm or deny the story? Anyway, I always thought it was clever and creative punishment.

I don't recall being an awful child save for a few years in high school, but again, there may be some readers who can shed light on that? In any case, those few times that I was "awful", I was usually found out. Like the time I skipped school when I was a freshman in high school. A friend of mine, who was in middle school, was staying with us while her parents were out of town. We skipped school and went to her house. How was I to know that my mom would be at the middle school that day and happen to see my friend's name on the absent list. It was a long walk from my friend's house to the high school principal's office. I think I only skipped school a few times after that - just kidding mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man alive! Do we have an example of synchronicity for you! This evening I was reading your most recent blog while waiting for our baked fish dinner to be done. Shortly thereafter, your dad and I sat down to eat and the doorbell rang. Mart answered the door and who should be there but Jim Frohm. We have not seen Jim in YEARS and he was actually looking for a house the next block over from ours so it was a mistake that he came to our door. Now, for those who don't know Jim, he's the father of the girl Carrie was referring to in the skipping school story! Spooky! And, let's set the record straight - you've NEVER been a problem to your parents. The only issue with you was to get you, as an EXCELLENT basketball player, to shoot the ball yourself instead of passing the ball to the "supposed" star of the team. As I recall we bribed you by paying you $1 / shot. Regarding the photographs of the interior of our van, that was a riot. Your brother and the others attending the prom together actually took the bench seats out of the van and put in sofas etc. It was just too funny! Wonder where those photos are today? I'd love to see them! Love, Mom

Care said...

Now that is for sure a prime example of synchronicity! You and I must have been communicating with the universe to have Jim appear at your front door! Doc. B. had a similar "discussion" with the United States Postal Service last week. Back in December she had ordered a federal publication that she needed for work. After placing the order she promptly forgot about it until one night last week when she awoke in the middle of the night wondering when the package would arrive. She fell back asleep and forgot about it again. When she checked her mail slot at work the next day, the publication was there! She must have known it was on its way!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Carrie, with Doc B's publication, there's a simpler explanation. Although it is not widely known, under the Bush Administration, we've developed technology that actually reads minds in an attempt to achieve optimal, efficient customer service. Our goal is just in time delivery, not delivery within certain set standards. We've found that some people don't really care if we get it there in one or two or three days, so our goal is to get it there just before you wonder where it is. That way, everyone is satisfied, and we can save on the cost of delivery. Looks like in this case we got it there just in the nick of time, thanks to the mind-reading technology.

Just kidding of course, and I hope that neither the postal inspection service nor any conspiracy theorists routinely read your blog, or I may find myself in a just in time situation of my own! The reality of the postal service delivery network is that we're space constrained. That means that even if we wanted to hold on to the mail for a day or two, in almost all cases, we've got nowhere to put it. So we deliver every bit that we can to get it out of our system and into yours!