Sunday, January 02, 2011

Don't Tell Doc. B. but...


Lose weight, blah blah blah, drink less, blah blah blah, exercise more, blah blah blah, be more mindful, blah blah blah, don’t agree to your partner going on a week-long silent meditation retreat over new year’s eve, blah blah blah. Sounds like a pretty standard set of 2011 resolutions, eh?

It’s strange and unsettling enough that January 1, 2011 marked the first time since 1776 that there has NOT been a Kennedy in Washington (well, it’s really only since 1947 but either way it’s like having a 22 year old cat – it seems like forever).  But not having Doc. B. in the house on 1/1/11 is a bit odd.



Neither one of us really had anything in mind for Christmas presents this year.  We'd had the screened porch built and that was all I really wanted besides my two front teeth.  But since I'd received the latter many Christmases ago after sending a letter to Santa asking for them of course (and promptly placing them in Towne Club pop to see what chemical reaction would take place), Doc. B. inquired as to whether there might be something else I'd like to see under the lamp table this year? I'll admit it; we didn't put up a tree.  All of our pagan ornaments stayed in the attic and any gifts that made it into our household went under the lamp table to patiently await Christmas morning.

After thinking about it a while, I settled on two things that I really did want for Christmas.  I wanted a specific Christmas brunch of Irish coffee, bagels and lox, cream cheese and capers AND I wanted Doc. B. to figure out the exact date on which Maddie the cat will have lived for half my life.  Doc. B. thought about it too and settled on a request that I go with her to her parent’s house for lunch on Christmas Eve AND she wanted to go on a meditation retreat in Texas for the week between Christmas and New Year’s.

Meditation Building

We both got what we wanted.  And that’s why Rumi the cat and I are sitting out on the screened porch drinking champagne (well, sparkling wine since it’s not from that special region in France) and writing a blog about the holidays without the presence of Doc. B. who's been gone for a week now but will be home this evening.

Don’t tell Doc. B. but over the past week:
  • ·         I spent way too much at the grocery store and it wasn’t even on organic stuff,
  • ·         I watched a ton of Glee, Twilight Zone and Mad Men Re-runs,
  • ·         I’ve been listening to 1980’s hair band music rather loudly and regularly (Rumi likes it!),
  • ·         I cleaned in preparation for the interview we have on Monday with a prospective housekeeper.
  • ·         I threw away the Omaha Steaks gift certificate she received in the mail (interesting tidbit – Omaha Steaks has a mailing address on John Galt Blvd. – who is John Galt?)
  • ·         Several of us decided that if Doc. B. goes on a retreat in the future, it shouldn’t be a silent retreat since that’s not a challenge for her.  Rather it should be a hang out and talk with other people 24/7 retreat.
  • ·         I’ve had cereal for dinner at least twice.
Happy New Year Beloved Reader(s?)!

Post Script

Below is a copy of how Doc. B. started calculating the date when Maddie will have lived for half my life.  This was before she quickly came to the realization that all she had to do was double how old I was on the day Maddie was born.  That Doc. B. IS a smart one.  Heck, I couldn't even get into the University of Michigan let alone Georgia Tech (well, U of M did say I could feel free to pay their high tuition rates in the fall of 1982 so long as I agreed to be there on academic probation - that was too much pressure for a 17 year old Social "Scientist.").  And so the question is finally answered, "yes little miss no dress wearin', tennis shoe-lovin', math hatin' girl in the 8th grade, you could actually need algebra in your day-to-day adult life."  My response, "or you could find a partner to figure out (math) problems for you."

Mark your calendars for December 29th 2011.  If Maddie and I make it that long, that’s when she will have lived for half of my life.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great. Happy New Year! Hope that silent med retreat was just fabulous. I know I could not last seven minutes with my mouth buttoned, so good for Doc. And that calculation thing, WOW. Looks like a recipe to me. And I think John Galt was the first male Avon rep. Hoping to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

That previous comment was from moi, Stefany. I'm not smart enough to get my name to publish on these internet things. Though I do like being "Anonymous."

Anonymous said...

If you wish to purchase John Galt items go to
http://shop.cafepress.com/john-galt?cmp=knc--m--us--ent--gifts--search-b--john%20galt_gifts&pid=3742398&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=MSN&utm_campaign=Entertainment%20Gifts%20-%20US&utm_content=search-b&utm_term=john%20galt-gifts.

HOWEVER, this gives me NO clue about who he is. Is a 68 year old Michigander supposed to know? Happy New Year everyone!

Care said...

Dear Anonymous (I mean Stefany), please note that my mother is joining you in being "Anonymous". It's one of her greatest traits - supportiveness. She didn't want you to feel alone and I guess she figured I didn't know any other 68 year old Michiganders (that read this blog anyway!). Hmm..."who is John Galt?"

p.s. LOVE you mom!