Sunday, June 18, 2006

Pop's day!

Dad and me on the shores of Lake Michigan
The farm house and barn where my Dad grew up
Dad's first school?







Happy Father's day Dad! I bet you weren't expecting this given the tribute to Mom at Mother's day? Hope you are back safe and sound from Hosta College?

Whereas I opined that my Mom didn't particularly care for Mother's day, I think my Dad rather enjoys Father's day. And I'm glad he does because his children like to shower him with annoying attention on his special day - we particularly like to send him funny cards. I mailed him a card many years ago that, on the cover, had a cartoon dog doing a tightrope walk act. On the inside, it said something like "who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks". In good form, Dad gave it back to me for my birthday one year. He's good about recycling, or regifting if you want to call it that. Some might call him a cheapskate, but I'd say he simply developed some creative money saving techniques just trying to get four kids through college. Now he's got four kids with not only college degrees, but graduate degrees - and I know he's proud. He even helped get us all to some great schools: Michigan State (where Dad met Mom), Notre Dame, Western Michigan and the University of Michigan.

But back to teaching an old dog new tricks - I must say that Dad has been a master at reusing old tricks. But, he's also been open to learning new ones. I know this first hand from being the first born. I experienced his inaugeral attempts many times over. You might think this was a bad thing - but it wasn't necessarily always a negative. Take for example his first shot at coaching basketball. I was in fifth grade and the only girl on the team. He coached us to a complete losing season, but thanks to his positive attitude and ever changing tricks, I stuck with basketball and ended up as an honorable mention player on a team that was second in the state my senior year of high school.

And speaking of athletics, Dad's just always been a good sport. Like when I was in grade school and he would put the top down on the Mustang convertable because that's what I wanted. It didn't matter that we lived in Minnesota and that it was cold out, or that I had a blanket wrapped around me. Oh, and one of his great old tricks, that he's reusing with his grandkids now, is the candy in the glove compartment trick. It's a great way to get your oldest grandson to go to the lumber yard with you three or four times while you are building a tree house. A young kid is much more likely to get back in the car to run errands with you if there is red licorice or circus peanuts to be found hidden in the vehicle.

Dad was also a television star. When I was a kid, Dad had to attend meetings several nights per week because of his job. Many of the meetings were televised. So even though he wasn't always home for dinner, we were able to watch him on cable access t.v.

And Dad is also a gourmet cook. His specialties are popcorn, omelets and anything that one can throw together in a microwave.

But I think Dad's best examples of learning new tricks can be found in his acceptance and support of me, Doc B., our life, the things I've wanted to do, who I've wanted to be, and who I ultimately am. Happy Father's day Pops! I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, thank you for the honor of being featured in the Blue Mailbox. The photos you found are great. With all the family history you are including in your blog, I nominate you to be our family historian. Thanks again, I love you. DadO PS- How do I draw a dog on this blog?

Care said...

I'm not sure how you could draw a dog on the blog - I'll have to check that out! But recall that I do have a photo of an "MWO" on a prior blog entry. It has the picture of your famous dog on it. I love you back!