Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Wonderful Life

It's this time of year when the owner of the rights to the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" will allow it to be shown on television at least once. But I don't need to watch it because I have my own wonderful life. And it's at Thanksgiving time when I think about this most. Hmmmm...I think I'll change that this year and move it out of the back of my mind and into the front on an everyday basis...

Thanksgiving was wonderful for me this year. My exceptionally cool parents made the trip from Michigan with a stop in Nashville where they spent the night on a "sleep number bed". They arrived in Atlanta on Wednesday, along with the lawn edger I requested they bring, but had no idea was the size of a small aircraft. They helped Doc B. and me prepare for the following day's binging and imbibing activities. I told my mom she would only have to help make the gravy and my dad he would only have to carve the turkey (with the electric knife they brought at my prompting, of course). They both did a great job and so did Doc B. of course. I think my mom, with a degree in home economics from Michigan State University, enjoyed and approved of the meal we prepared thanks to Alton Brown's recipe for brining the Turkey http://altonbrown.com/. Our friends Holly and Kristen were kind enough to accept our invitation to join us for the Thanksgiving meal. They brought some superb homemade desserts, wonderful stories to tell and a bottle of wine decorated with some of Kristen's original metal artwork (www.hickyjig.com). I missed being together with my whole family, but I knew they were off doing things they enjoy. My baby sister and her husband were working on the remodel of their kitchen, my brother and his wife and kids were at their home in New Jersey with my sister-in-law's mom, and my middle sister was in Florida with her husband and kids. My day was a fun-filled time with friends and family that made me want to keep that thankful feeling going throughout the year.

Actually, hanging out with my parents always brings that out in me and this visit was no exception. I have always felt lucky to have parents who continually work to better themselves and better understand/appreciate their children. The have never discouraged me from doing what makes me happy. Thanks mom and dad!

And what was even more moving was having my parents meet Doc B.'s parents for the very first time. We all drove to Doc B.'s parent's home on Sunday and spent the afternoon sharing lunch and conversation. It was, without a doubt, one of the best Thanksgiving's on record (and by the way, we saw the movie "Walk the Line" - excellent - don't miss it).

I hope everyone who reads this will join me in keeping "thanks" in the forefront each day...

Enough sappy stuff for this moment. I'm back from a computer holiday break and promise to publish at least a posting per week if not more (for those of you chomping at the bit to read more of my rambling about this, that, and my mother...)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! We're speechless if you can believe. That doesn't happen too often. Thanks for all the kind words. Mom & Dad

Care said...

Well, it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!

By the way, Anna said thanks for doing her yard - she brought over a bottle of wine and we will drink it in your honor :)

And another by the way, someone picked up the tree logs before the trash people came!