Monday, October 31, 2005

Have iPod, Will Travel MARTA

I love my iPod! Thanks to my former employer’s stock bonus program, I was able to purchase an iPod mini with the options I had to exercise within four months of resignation. For those of you that know how much one of these pocket-sized contraptions costs, you’ll be able to figure out that I did not make very much money on those stock options!

At first I liked the iPod because I could tune out everyone and everything as I was using MARTA. As they say, "It's SMARTA". No more listening to other people’s phone calls and no more listening to the psychotic sock salesman talk to himself. Oh, and for some reason, the outstretched hand attached to “The Watchtower” never reaches toward me when I’m wearing my bright white headphones? If anyone knows why that is, please let me know.

Beyond MARTA though is the glorious time at my desk. I can listen to music while I work and can block out the Musak blaring from the overhead speaker. I once enjoyed many of the songs that I now hear, usually twice, every single day of the week on that overhead speaker. Songs that in the past had wonderful memories for me are now fading away into never never land. Like “That Old Devil Moon” that reminds me of going to see my brother in the play “Finian’s Rainbow”. Or “Unchained Melody” that reminds me of my sister’s wedding. Perhaps when I hear the non-Musak versions of these songs, I’ll snap out of it. Oh wait, I’m supposed to be practicing mindfulness and not allow these things to annoy me.

But the best part of the iPod is that you can either copy your own CD’s or you can download songs from iTunes. Yes, the songs cost $.99 cents each but you can copy just the songs you want vs. having to purchase an entire CD. On my iPod mini, I can shuffle randomly through almost 1000 songs or I can set up play lists of favorites. So if I just feel like listening to jazz today, it’s as simple as setting up a grouping of all of my favorite jazz artists. Stay tuned for my next blog entry to hear more about my favorites and why they get that status…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could we connect an ipod type thing to our new sound system that we're installing in our "new" digs? That would be so cool! You could come do all the programming for us! Love you, Mom

Care said...

I'm not sure mom but I bet it's possible! If any of my steady readership, of thousands I'm sure, has an answer, please leave your comment!