Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vacation Signs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSgAGeh8gw



April 10, 2011 marked the 30th anniversary of my parents buying a two week share of time at the Sea Crest Surf and Racquet Club on Hilton Head Island. I’m sitting in the Dock Master, sleeps 8 Unit, as I type. It’s a two bedroom, two bathroom, pull out couch and bunk beds, 1980’s era (still) condo just a block from the beach.  Several of my dedicated readers have visited here over the years so you get the visual.

I was a junior in High School when my family purchased weeks 14 and 15 of this time share "deal". Their realtor, Bobby Sandell, was honest with them and made sure they knew this was NOT an investment but rather a vacation location for years to come. Bobby is still a realtor with Re/Max on Hilton Head.  When his name is spoken, we all smile; such a cutie then and a handsome man now.  I feel certain I can feel his presence or at least the presence of his BMW convertible, every time I drive onto the Island.

Shortly after conferring with my maternal grandparents (for financing I’m sure) and holding a Brady Bunch family meeting at the Ice Cream Cone across the street (est. 1971), the deal was sealed. So what if mom and dad spent $17,000 30 years ago for what can now be STOLEN for $7,000? We love it and it’s been so worth it!



So here I sit on my last evening before returning to Atlanta – typing out the top 10 signs I’m on vacation (well, I didn't quite make it to ten).

I've only been here a week, but there are 32 Piggly Wiggly plastic bags tucked under the kitchen sink.  It, along with the Red Dot liquor store, are within walking distance of the unit.

The remote control on the living room t.v. doesn’t work and I don’t care.  I can just pull a chair right up to the t.v. and operate the channel changer by hand.  Or, I can be lazy to the max and go lay down in front of the television in the master suite where the remote control DOES work.

On my way to Hilton Head, I stopped in for an appointment at {Intimacy} for a bra fitting.  I spent over $300.00 despite a potential government shut down and after days of hand wringing and beating myself up, I'm finally over it.  And my girls are happy.

Every meal has fresh seafood and alcohol involved.  Prime example here at Chef David's "Roastfish and Cornbread"...



I begin to ignore the irony in life but am subtly brought back to reality at "The Salty Dog" at Sea Pines' South Beach where, you guessed it, there are no dogs allowed...


I've finished three books including "Quiet Guilt: The State of Michigan v. Starr" by my second cousin once removed, Clare Adkin.  Also in the top three for this vacation were "Sophie and the Rising Sun" by Augusta Trobaugh and "Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat who Touched the World" by Vicki Myron (Thanks Christal and Katie!).  I only cried once during that last book - during the death scene - and I didn't even care that I was out on the beach deck when that happened.

And for the 14+ times during this trip that I visited the Piggly Wiggly, I always chuckled at the "Butt Wipes" aisle - thanks to WPPJ (Witness Protection Program John) for pointing this out to me.  I wonder how many years it's been there?  Gotta love that Piggly Wiggly, that's been there for 50 years, for leaving it up there.  I dig the pig....



Hope they sign the budget tonight so that I have a job to go back to on Monday to pay for this week of decadence!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The are two types of 2 bedroom units. Wonder which is for sale for $3,500? We preferred the dock master because the master bedroom has it's own balcony patio. In the other 2 bedroom, both bedrooms are in the back and have only one balcony patio. Why do you think MWO was so possessive about the master bedroom :). I didn't care as long as I had a balcony on which to enjoy my morning coffee. Give the unit a hug when you depart tomorrow. Mom

Care said...

Well the balconies were still there when I departed the unit and I'd have to lie to say that I gave the unit a hug :)
Hope the April snows decide to leave Michigan soon!
xxx000