Sunday, February 27, 2011

Maddie Cat

Madison: May 12, 1988 - February 27, 2011

Yesterday, Maddie enjoyed a stroll on the screened porch. It was a wobbly jaunt, but a walk in the fresh air none the less. She circled the perimeter, taking in all of the smells and sights. She lost most of her hearing years ago but I bet she heard a few birds too. This was her last moment in the sun, at least on this earth that is. After three days of difficulty breathing, so much so that she couldn’t purr, she passed away at 7:30 this morning. Doc. B and I petted her as she took in her last few breaths and let go of the very last one. It’s going to be a new world for me. Save for vacations, I never went more than a day without hearing that little girl purr. Almost 23 years of the loudest, sometimes obnoxious, yet most comforting sound I may ever know.


While she didn’t quite reach her 23rd birthday, or the point at which she would have lived half of my life (in December 2011), she lived in 4 decades: May 12, 1988 – February 27, 2011. So many people, jobs and homes have come in and out of my life over that time period and she was there through it all. She was my constant witness to the joys in my life as well as the things I’d just as soon forget. I miss her already.

To all of you who knew and loved her on so many different levels, and who supported me in the decisions I made because that kitty was in my life – I thank you. Hug a pet for me today.

8 comments:

Mar said...

I'm so terribly sorry about Maddie. There is nothing I can say that will make you feel any better today. You are entitled to feel pretty crappy, but you can also take comfort in knowing that Maddie had the best mom ever. Peaceful kitty.

Care said...

I love you baby sis - I know you've been there...

Anonymous said...

Your mom says .... What a sad day for you. Wish we could be with you to console the deep "bruise" your heart must be feeling.... similar to the kisses we'd give you when you were growing up and skinned your knee. Give Doc B a big hug for us as well. xoxoxo Mom and Dad

Care said...

Thanks mom! I wish you were here too :)

Leona said...

I am so saddened to read this news. I will always remember my strolls around your house, gently carrying Maddie to various windows and porches, for a view and a breath of fresh air. One special kitty who was so very fortunate to have such a special mom. Certainly a grand life and now perhaps she is hanging with her big brother. Thoughts are with you and Doc B.

Care said...

To one of Maddie's favorite babysitters who also knew here since day one! Thank you Leona!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Maddie. We will be thinking of you...I know it's very hard to say goodbye and she will never really leave you.
Big Hug.

Care said...

Big hug right back at you KO. can't believe it's been over a week now...