Thursday, June 05, 2008

Conversations You Don't Hear Every Day

Ram Dass(in the blue shirt), Bhagavan Das and Krishna Das (all photos from their respective websites)




Doc B. came home from yoga the other day all excited that Krishna Das was going to be performing at The Variety Playhouse at the end of June. I said, "oh, isn’t that the guy you went to see at Kashi (a local yoga studio) last year?" And Doc. B. said, "no, that was Bhagavan Das." Then I said "oh, well is it that guy that we watched the movie about who did drugs back in the 60’s to try to reach enlightenment before he turned to yoga and meditation and wrote the book Be Here Now?" And Doc B. said "no, that was Ram Dass." And I said, "well which Das is this???" And Doc. B. said "Krishna Das is the one that's well known for his Kirtans".

A year ago, I would have been feeling like this conversation was truly a comedy since I would have been without a clue as to what a kirtan was. Thankfully, through my yoga education, I know that kirtans are Indian devotional chants. This was my only saving grace since I certainly couldn't keep my Das’s straight. For sure a Blue Mailbox moment

So I dispensed with the Das talk until later in the evening when Rumi the cat walked up and meowed hello. I responded "hi Rum Das" - and so now the cat has yet another nickname.

Oh, and here's a moving Haiku recently composed by Doc. B. while still in her post-Guatemalan afterglow:

"Being, not doing
has taught my heart a new song
I will live here now"

Or, you can make it much less moving with my altered version:

"Being, not doing
has taught my heart a new song
zippadeedoda"

P.S. Happy Birthday tomorrow RWO!!!

No comments: