Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Twos-day Finally Arrives!

We are certainly down to Two Super candidates right now! No Dad, I don't mean John McCain and Mitt Romney :)

I’ve been torn about the vote tomorrow and had no idea it would be this difficult. It wasn’t until John Edwards dropped out and we had the opportunity to see Hillary and Barack "debate" that I finalized my decision. Can it even be called a "debate?" They were so nice to each other I didn’t know whether to well up with tears or stick my fingers down my throat. When Barack pulled out Hillary’s chair for her at the onset, I knew I was in for a treat. I quickly knew that I would actually get to hear from them about their respective plans rather than listen to them bicker.

And that’s what I got – no bashing each other and a good discussion of what they stand for. I think I finally understand the differences between the two and I will be very happy with either candidate as our next president.

But what’s emerging for me now is a bit of personal history. Right now, I can’t shake the feelings associated with the very first time I could vote in a presidential election. It was 1984 and I was a 20 year old senior at Michigan State University. I had just completed a four month internship with the National Association of Social Workers in Washington, D.C. and was all hyped up on our political process and the little baby democrat that I was becoming. I was initially all set to vote for Gary Hart – but then he had to withdraw from the race because he was accused of having an affair (of course in hindsight we now know that you can still be one of the best presidents of all time despite that). After he dropped out, I wasn’t sure who would get my first ever vote.

Then Walter Mondale picked Geraldine Ferraro to be his running mate. The two of them made an appearance on our university campus and I was mesmerized by their campaign speeches. I couldn’t believe I was going to get to cast my vote for a woman…and I did. Sadly, the team of Regan and Bush ate Mondale and Ferraro for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. I think they even washed them down with after-dinner drinks. It was probably the biggest landslide in history (I’ll have to check that out to see if it’s true - so don’t quote me on that!).

And worse than that loss is that fact that my very first presidential election was to be number one of five times I would find myself casting a vote against a Bush.

I just knew that if there was ever a woman candidate again in my lifetime, she would get serious consideration and likely get my vote. Shoot, back then, I even thought I might give my vote to a republican woman. I don’t know if I could ever really do that now that I’ve lived the life I’ve lived and watched the republicans do the things they’ve done.

I’m more than disappointed that it’s taken 24 years for another woman to even have a shot at being on the presidential ticket. So, since the candidates are generally equal (in my opinion), the vote goes to the woman. Let the matriarchy begin and let her offer the VP job to Barack. Even if he declines, that could get Hillary some extra credit points for at least trying to give the Democrats what we all really want - the dream team.

SIDE NOTE: If Barack does win the nomination, I feel certain he won’t pick Hillary as his running mate. There will be no dream team. But maybe he’ll pick Geraldine Ferraro? After all, she’s only 72, just a year older than John McCain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie, it's Laree from Bern, Switzerland! When I was in the 6th grade, it was an election year,and part of our civics lessons included having our own class-run elections. In that year, Shirley Chisholm was running as an independent against Hubert Humphrey for the Dems and Richard Nixon for the forces of evil. I guess you know how it turned out. I was heartbroken that Humphrey lost so miserably. I think that election probably rivaled the Mondale/Ferraro loss. That was my first election recollection. It's interesting that it seems to be the element of the women involved that makes these things memorable for us. There's no doubt that this election will be an historic event, regardless of the outcome. And I agree with you, any of the Dems will do just fine!

Care said...

What on earth are you doing over in Bern??? An early b-day present perhaps??? You better tell me all about it when you get back!