Monday, October 22, 2007

Workout with the Stars

Last Monday I took a mental health day. I consider it legit since I did have two medical appointments, one physical and one mental. So what if one was for cosmetic reasons and one was for enlightenment reasons. I use my fair share of sick days; I just use them when I’m not throwing up sick. Thankfully I haven’t been throwing up sick on a work day in a very long time – guess I better knock on wood in a very large forest after having said that.

I started my mental health day by sleeping in, sort of. I still got up at my usual 5:15 am and made coffee, but then I went back to sleep until 6:30. That was probably the best hour of sleep I’d had in a long time since Maddie the cat also decided to sleep rather than purr in my ear and try to keep me awake. Then I got up and did some things around the house before heading off to the gym. Normally I’d be at the gym when they open at 5:30 but I decided to wait until it was light out so that I could jog there. "Light out" ended up being about 10:00 am.

I had a pleasant jog to the gym in some of the most gorgeous weather we’ve had in a long time. The weight room was filled mainly with trainers and their clients. I did my workout by making room for all of them including a little dog that was following one of the clients as she and her trainer moved from machine to machine. I gave a few pets and "hi sweeties" to the little pooch each time it walked past me. A few times it couldn’t decide whether to stay with me or follow its owner. Eventually I put dog and owner together and realized that the dog was "Tulea" and her "in-fabulous-shape-for-69" owner was Jane Fonda.

Just the week before, I was working out right next to Vern Yip. Now that I think about it, that was also on a day when I got to the gym late. I guess the moral of the story is that the early bird may get the worm but won’t get to work out with the stars.

On the other hand, the really early bird might get to see a "star" in the middle of a Waffle House fist fight…

No comments: