Wednesday, July 04, 2007

State of the Union



Good morning friends and family and Happy July 4th!

Mrs. T., my Tuesday night yoga partner, is out of town, so I decided to walk home from class last night rather than hitch a ride. It's a nice 30 minute walk so it's a good way to continue my blissful state after a yoga session with Bill. But the path home is along one of the trashiest streets in Atlanta - DeKalb Avenue. It parallels the MARTA train and is essentially a 24 hour a day landfill. After I vowed to carry a trash bag with me the next time I walk this stretch, I recalled a conversation Doc B. and I had with baby sis who visited us this past weekend.

She was explaining to us the premise of a magazine called Found. They publish items upon which people have stumbled. Wait, that's just really getting old - they publish things people have stumbled upon. It all started when one of the magazine "founders" had a note left on his car that was clearly meant for someone else. You can go to the website and read all about it.

So I continued my mindful walk home but also began to keep an eye out for anything interesting that might present itself. Sure enough, right as I was nearing Shawn Mullins' old house, I found the above invitation. The center fold was still in it but it was covered with dirt and there was a foot print on the back of it.

Several things came to mind when I found this wedding announcement. First, it's two women I don't know and thus a reminder of the wonderfully large community in which Doc. B. and I live. And second, it was close to Shawn's old house and he has a great song called "Ruth and Mary" that Doc. B. and I put on our commitment ceremony CD.

But the irony hit most strongly. It also occurred to me that on the day I found this piece of memorabilia, it was the day before Independence Day - a day our "founding" fathers marked freedom for all. And here are these two women heading off to Canada to get married...

NOTE: It was also the day after Scooter Libby Liberation Day but that is just too much for me to get into today - I'll leave that to the legitimate political bloggers...

No comments: