Saturday, September 17, 2005

My first known synchronicity

NOTE: Before you read this - you may want to click on the link to the right entitled "what is synchronicity" unless you already know what the heck it is.

Doc. B. has been reading Deepak Chopra books and listening to his books on tape for a number of years now. I have to admit that his combination of spirituality and science is often over my head. Good thing Doc. B. is a Chemist and can scale it down below layman's terms for me. Or to quote a phrase used by a job applicant during an interview I was conducting, Doc. B. often has to "dumb it down" for me. Correct, we did not hire that guy. Besides, he wouldn't sit up straight in his chair and as I recall, he wasn't wearing socks.

In any case, a couple of years back, Doc. B. and I were taking our first trip to the Grove Park Inn, in Asheville, NC. We were all excited because it was Arts and Crafts weekend and there was a crisp chill in the air - I think we even saw a speck of snow while we were there. During the 3+ hour drive, I was somehow talked into listening to one of Deepak's tapes about synchronicity and synchrodestiny. After most of it was re-explained to me, I was all into it and was ready to start being conscious of the otherwise brushed off coincidences of my life. We spent the rest of the car drive trying to recall events of the past that might actually have been synchronicitous. Like the time we were at the restaurant at Chico Hot Springs in Prey, MT with my mom, dad and youngest sister. My mom asked the server if we might get to see Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid since they owned a ranch nearby (pre break up of course). The server said he didn't know. But sure enough, just as we were finishing our beef wellington, in walks the Ryan/Quaid crew. It was coincidence then; it's synchronicity now.

Anyway, back to Asheville. So we're walking around the gorgeous Grove Park Inn, taking in all of the breathtaking views, wandering through all of the mission style furniture that we just can't figure out how to afford and Doc. B. gets thirsty. Being the penny pinchers that we are sometimes (I get that trait from my dad), we didn't really want to go to the hotel restaurant and pay big bucks to quench her thirst, so we started to cruise the hotel looking for a drinking fountain. One of the many unique touches found at the Grove Park Inn is that the halls are lined with headshot photos of famous people. I can only guess that each of the well-known celebrities had stayed there at one time or another. So we're meandering the hallways for quite some time when Doc. B. finally spots a drinking fountain. She bends over to sip the water and when she stands up, guess which famous mug is staring back at her - Deepak Chopra's! It's as if he knew we had been listening to his tapes, knew Doc. B. was thirsty, and guided her to the water source!

That pretty much secured my understanding of and belief in the idea of synchronicity. I still enjoy noticing when these kinds of things happen. I haven't much gone beyond the noticing to trying to understand what they mean - but I will. I'm just a bit slower on these spirituality topics. Sometimes the blue mailbox momements are more my speed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi favorite oldest daughter! Loved you writing and look forward to lots more. Don't worry about offending us. The inheritance won't be that great anyway :-) Lots of love, Mom

Care said...

Thanks mom! I can always count on you to support whatever I do - that's why I love you! (will that save the inheritance???).

xoxo